Posts

Showing posts from September, 2009

Challenge Square No. 6: Squared Checks

Image
Needles: US 8 Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Eco in natural Finished Dimensions: 8.25" x 8.5" This square I ended up redoing after getting about halfway through because it was too small. This is because of the stretch from the ribbing in between the squares. I like this pattern, very simple, just knits and purls, and creates the fun little squares. Because I had to cast on 6 more stitches in order to get the pattern right for the second try, the dimensions are larger than the other squares. So I guess it's better to be on the larger end than the smaller end (the other squares can be blocked a little bit) and I won't be crocheting an edging on this square. It should be easy to sew to the adjacent squares. While thinking of what application this pattern might be good for, I think this might be great for a skirt! There is enough stretch to it, it could be form-fitting, and the squares give it a nice depth and fun pattern. I would probably pick a darker color though, maybe a

Challenge Square No. 5: Dragon Skin

Image
Needles: US 8 Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Eco in natural Finished Dimensions: 7.75" x 8" This pattern is gorgeous! The increases and decreases created curves in the pattern that look like scales, almost like a dragon's skin!! The pattern is very simple and looks elegant, especially in the off-white color. This pattern also caused a curve on the bottom, just like the herringbone, which I solved by crocheting an edge around the square. It worked out much better, though, and the dimensions are more reasonable. This may be great for a blanket or afghan. It could also be done on a cardigan sweater or twin set. Because of the M1 in between the panels of dragon skin, it created holes so it has a lace effect (probably adding to the elegant look). This is one of my favorite squares so far! I'll likely create a design for a sweater or blanket just so that I can use this pattern again. Only a few more simple squares left, then it's on to new techniques. So far, the knits, pea

Challenge Square No. 4: Herringbone

Image
Needles: US 8 Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Eco in woodland Finished Dimensions: 7.5" x 8.25" First thing, the dimensions are totally off on this square because the outcome of the pattern is unpredictable! The technique in this pattern is increasing or decreasing a stitch every 4 stitches, the rest is stockinette, and because of the increasing/decreasing in the same place, a slant occurs in the pattern. It looks neat when its done, the only thing I have had trouble with is the bottom edge. The increasing/decreasing at the beginning made curves at the bottom edge of the square (or was supposed to be a square). This was not shown in the picture of the pattern in the encyclopedia! It was deceiving by showing only the good part of the pattern, the middle, where you can see the ribbing and the slanted stitches. Not the curved bottom that is an important piece to the pattern! Well, isn't that how life goes, nothing is what it seems to be. To correct this, I tried to crochet an edg

Challenge Square No. 3: Diamond Brocade

Image
Needles: US 8 Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Eco in woodland Finished Dimensions: 8" x 7.75" Simple little diamonds out of pearl stitches, this pattern could be used on just about anything. The book suggests that this pattern can be done with about any geometric shape, but I think the diamonds are perfect. The dimensions were off a little on this one because it is a multiple of 8 sts + 1 and to be honest, I didn't want to do a wider square (trying to stay under a CO of 40 sts) because the simplicity is getting boring. Once again, it's easy to follow the pattern, but now I've started to get bored with the knits and purls... Don't get me wrong, I really like this pattern, but I think I have gotten the knit and purl stitches down and I need a little more excitement in my life. I'm ready for the challenging part of my challenge! Although, when I think about it, sticking to the boring stuff would be a challenge for me. I have always been flighty, not just when

Challenge Square No. 2: Stacked Blocks

Image
Needles: US 8 Yarn: Caron Simply Soft Eco in woodland Finished Dimensions: 8" x 8.25" While I was on vacation last week, I made great progress on the challenge. I completed the second square and second pattern in the knitting encyclopedia, stacked blocks, and it really does look like stacked blocks! It makes it look like 3D art and it looks the same on the front as it does on the back, something reversible (yay). The top of the block is a seed stitch and either side is stockinette stitch with one side knit and the other purl. The dimensions didn't quite come out right because the pattern is a multiple of 10 sts so I had to cast on 40 sts and it came out a little bit wider than 8" but that's okay, everything should still line up when I sew it together. I like the pattern, its something simple yet has a little edge to it. I can envision this on any number of baby items, like a nice baby blanket. This might also make an interesting scarf because it's the same